Elian (Cavendish) Fichtner focuses her law practice in the areas of Probate and Estate Planning with an emphasis on Elder Law and Elder Care issues. She began her career with Smith Bovill, P.C. as a law clerk in 2005 and became a shareholder in 2013. Her experience extends to all aspects of Estate Planning, Elder Law and Disability, Long Term Care Planning/Medicaid qualification, Trust and Estate Administration, Probate Litigation as well as Guardianships and Conservatorships. Elian is also VA certified.
Elian, a Saginaw native, is a 1997 graduate of Arthur Hill High School. In 2001, she earned her Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Michigan and received her Juris Doctor degree from Valparaiso University School of Law (Indiana) in 2005.
Elian serves on the Board of Directors for the Saginaw Community Foundation and Junior Achievement of Northeast Michigan. She is the Treasurer for the Saginaw County Bar Association and is a member of the Probate/Estate Planning and Elder Law/Disability Rights sections of the State Bar of Michigan. She is also a regular pro bono volunteer at the Legal Services of Eastern Michigan (LSEM) monthly advice clinic as well as a former board member. She is also an active member of the Northeastern Michigan Estate Planning Council and the Junior League of Saginaw Valley.
Elian lives in the Freeland with her husband, Joseph, and their two children.
CERTIFICATIONS, ACCREDITATION & OTHER RECOGNITION
State Bar of Michigan certification in Probate and Estate Planning – 2013
- VA Certification – 2013
- Gold Award recipient for exceeding State Bar of Michigan Voluntary Standard for Pro Bono Participation
- Great Lakes Bay Region – RUBY Award recipient -2014
- Michigan, 2006
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Michigan, 2006
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit, 2008
- United States Supreme Court, 2014
- Valparaiso University School of Law, Valparaiso, Indiana, 2005
- University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, 2001
- Honors: Class Honors & University Honors
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
- Michigan Bar Association, 2006 – Present
- Saginaw County Bar Association, 2006 – Present
- Board of Directors 2012 – 2013
- Treasurer 2013 – present
- Probate and Estate Planning Section of the State Bar of Michigan
- Elder Law and Disability Rights Section of the State Bar of Michigan
- Young Lawyers Section of the State Bar of Michigan
- Legal Services of Eastern Michigan Board of Directors 2010-2013
- Northeastern Michigan Estate Planning Council 2012 – present
- Saginaw Community Foundation Board of Directors 2015 – present
- Junior Achievement of Northeast Michigan Board of Directors 2013 – present
- Junior League of Saginaw Valley 2006 – present